I heard about Amazon upping the Amazon Chase Visa card cash back from 3% to 5% back for many months now. It is only for Amazon Prime members, which I am and have been for over a while, so I keep expecting to get a new card automatically from Chase.
But it never happened. So today I sent a secure message to Chase customer service, and this was their reply:
Thank you for contacting Chase about your reward points.
I would like to inform you that you must sign up for an eligible Amazon membership and begin earning 5% Back on purchases at Amazon.com. After having a paid Prime membership for 45 days, a new embedded metal Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card will be mailed. Since you do not have a current Amazon Prime membership, you can learn more through the various Try Prime links on the Amazon.com homepage.
To verify whether your card account earns 3% or 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases, sign in to your Amazon.com account and follow these steps:
- Visit amazon.com/youraccount
- Go to the Manage Payment Options page under the Payment Methods section
- Expand the details of your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card to see how much you are earning on Amazon.com purchases
If your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card is earning 3% Back on Amazon.com purchases and you have an eligible Prime membership, you can learn how to update your account to earn 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases.
We appreciate your business and thank you for being a Chase customer.
Chase Email Servicing
I was about to reply back with a screen shot showing that I have been an Amazon Prime member for over a year now, but then I thought I poke around my Amazon account and see if I could request a new shiny "metal" card from there or something.
On Amazon.com I went to:
- My Account
- Then went to Your Amazon Wallet
- That's where I saw the message "This card could be earning 5% Back. Learn How".
- I then clicked on the Learn How link, which popped up a dialog box asking for my Chase Amazon Visa Signature credit card number
- I typed in the number, and voila, a message came up saying that the card is now earning 5% instead of the old 3%
Too bad I didn't know I had to do this earlier as I have made quite a few purchases and missed out on the 2% extra because I thought I needed to wait for a new card from Chase. But better late then never, and hopefully this helps those of you Amazon Prime members the same way!
BTW I was hoping I could do this as well for my Chase Amazon Business card- but alas, there was no option to upgrade that to 5%, so I suppose this offer is only for the Chase Amazon consumers cards.