I have the Logitech Gaming Software 8.40.83 64-bit installed on my new Windows 8 i7-3770 PC
. It is needed to operate my Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard, as well as the G13 keypad and the G930 Headset I had gotten a few months ago. The other night I decided to restart my PC after Windows Update needed a reboot. So I'm sitting there looking at the BiOS start screen, so I thought heck why not take a look to see if there is any new update for the Asrock Z77 Pro4 motherboard? Turned out that there was a new update (v1.60), and I was able to download + install it directly from within the graphical BIOS interface.
But upon trying to boot up I got the message "Missing Operating System". WTH? Turned out that the BIOS update had wiped out all the previous settings. I had setup two Samsung SSDs running RAID 0, but because of the setting reset, I had to go back in to change it back from AHCI back to RAID. I thought that was pretty annoying having to go through some of the BIOS settings and change them back to the way I wanted them, but something more aggravating awaited me after Windows 8 started up.
I noticed that the G-key hotkeys I used on the G11 was not working any more, and furthermore, all that shows on the G13 LCD screen was the date and time. So I thought somehow the Logitech Gaming Software is not running, but I took a look at task manager and it was.
I killed LCore.exe
and tried to re-launch it, but then got this beauty of an error message:
I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Logitech Gaming Software, but no go. I looked for an update for a possible fix to this "bug", but nope- I had the newest version at 8.40.83. Searching around the web, I found some suggestions- right-click and re-install as administrator, delete settings.json under "C:/Users/User_Name/AppData/Local/Logitech/Logitech Gaming Software", etc. Nothing worked.
This was really weird because everything had worked just fine last week (the prior time I had rebooted the PC). Then I remembered that I had plugged in a small USB 2.0 hub- could that have been it? The hub had my Fitbit One usb receiver plus a Logitech wireless mouse receiver on it. I unplugged the hub, and voila- Logitech Gaming Software started up no problem just like before
! I plugged the hub back, then removed the Fitbit One receiver, then plugged the receiver in one of the front USB 3.0 ports, and it still worked
Ultimately I'm not sure exactly whose fault it is- Fitbit or Logitech or Microsoft or Asrock, but I'm just really happy to have everything working again because I use the G-keys a lot on the G11 and G13. Hopefully this will help those of you having this problem- try unplugging USB stuff from your PC, especially the one(s) that you just added recently before you started having this problem. Even though my system is Windows 8, this may well help those of you having this problem on Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit.