The following is a step-by-step Windows 7 upgrade checklist from Acronis, using TrueImage 2010 as the backup software:
1. Back up your entire existing operating system with a disk image before upgrading to Windows 7. The October 09 issue of Laptop Magazine suggests using Acronis True Image Home to carry out the backup. An image-based backup can be a great timesaver in the event that your Windows 7 installation fails or an existing application doesnt work on the new operating system. In either case you can simply roll back to your previous system.
2. Be prepared for the possibility that some applications may not yet be compatible with Windows 7. Check compatibility before installing or use Acronis True Image Home 2010 to create a separate disk partition for the new operating system: use the older system to run any applications that cant be migrated to the Windows 7!
3. Use Acronis True Image Home 2010 to migrate your data quickly. Capture all your files, applications and system settings as an image with one click, and avoid the need to individually transfer them for use on the new operating system. For total assurance, Acronis True Image Home 2010 can convert your backup (.tib file) into a virtual hard disk file (.vhd). Keep your XP or Vista machine in a virtual state in your new Windows 7 environment and use the converted image to boot directly into your old XP or Vista machine.
4. It can take four hours or more to reinstall a Windows 7-based system, so after youve completed the install, use Acronis True Image Home 2010 to create a clean backup image of the entire new system. Youll avoid the need for another long re-install if you encounter a problem later.
5. Develop good backup habits. Set up an automatic backup schedule with Acronis True Image Home 2010 to ensure youll be protected. Automatically.
6. Store your backup to more than one destination for greater security. Acronis Dual Destination Backup makes this easy to do. If one backup fails or is damaged, you will always be able to recover it from the other. Ensure total protection of your data by backing up online using Acronis Online Backup to place your backup in our highly secure, fail-safe facilities.
7. Test it! Make sure you can recover. Backup is easy; recovery is hard if youre not prepared. With Acronis True Image Home 2010, recoveries are simple push-button affairs, even for novices, so youll concentrate on being productive. Leave it to Acronis to protect your data and recover it easily and safely when disaster strikes.
Here is a video containing some extra tips that you may find useful before upgrading to Windows 7: